02 April 2012

Steadfastness...

This word has been on my mind a lot lately, especially in the last few days.

I'm currently in the process of memorizing the book of James, which is an extremely daunting task for someone who has trouble memorizing the smallest of passages.  However, it is going well (8 verses down!) and I think the Lord is blessing me in it.  I'm memorizing this as part of a study of the book and I LOVE it!  However, this word - steadfastness - has stood out to me in the past couple days.  

"Count it joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have it's full effect that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
- James 1:2-4 (ESV)

I've had a lot going on in the past couple weeks.  More than I want to think about or dwell on or prattle on about on the internet.  However, I'd be remiss not to mention how God has used this.  I've been busy and worried and stressed and hurt and sick.  I'm calling that a 'trial of various kinds.'  My faith is tested.  But I have to decide, is this 'stress' going to build me up... or tear me down?  Will I count it joy?  Or throw a fit and be selfish?

With God's help, I'm working to count it joy and let it build me up, that I might truly be steadfast (firm in purpose, resolution, etc.) in my faith.  I'm learning bit by bit (and God is showing me bit by bit) where to put my trust and how to trust Him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment