02 July 2014

Lists, Lists Everywhere!

Has anyone else noticed the preponderance of lists everywhere?  Not just your ordinary lists (because I am a BIG fan of most lists).  No, I'm talking specifically about those lists.  You know, the ones that tell you what you shouldn't say to (insert group here).  I've seen them for everything from military spouses to families of multiple children to single people to married people.

I'm sure there is some good information there and they may even come from a place of wanting to help  people.  I do know that I've seen some good stuff, forwarded, and facebook posted several of them myself.  But I just think it is getting a bit ridiculous.  

For example, on the families of multiple children list, I saw the comment: "You know what causes that, right?"  Hee hee.  That is one of my all times pet peeves!  Why does a family having many children invite comments about their sex life?  It is in poor taste and poor judgement.  However, I also saw this one:  "Oh, you must have SO many little helpers!" This seems harmless to me.  Maybe I'm wrong since I only have one child, but this seems... nice?  It is definitely a celebration of the children rather than something mean-spirited or a put down.

I also learned via these lists that I should never, ever order a Frappucino from Starbucks.  Or really just never go to Starbucks at all.  It seems that everything that makes Starbucks popular (meaning, all those frothy, sugary, syrupy 'coffee drinks') offends your friendly neighborhood barista.  If you do happen into a Starbucks, just order a plain coffee.

So, I guess what I'm really getting at is this:  Are these lists meant to be funny and ironic, or are they designed to help?  Or are they just the ramblings of someone in a very bad mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment