29 June 2015

Me & the Ocean...

Can I just tell you how much I love the ocean?  Because it's a lot.  I mean it.  I grew up in a land locked state, but it was right along the Mississippi river, so I saw water a lot.  It's always been a bit of a comfort.

Fast forward several years to when I married a young sailor in the US Navy and then being around the ocean became a serious thing (other than a short stint in the Mojave Desert, but we don't talk much about that).  When my son was born in Northern California, I had a view of the water from my hospital room.  

While living in Rhode Island (our last duty station), I literally lived on an island, which meant I crossed over the water constantly.  And even though it was almost always too cold to swim (I AM a southerner after all), I loved going to the beach, whether rocky or sandy, and just hanging out.  I loved going to Cape Cod in the winter or finding other fun spots to hang out.

However, three years ago we moved from RI to Tennessee.  Another landlocked state.  Now, there are a few lakes with decent beaches, but I'm an ocean kind of girl.  I just like to see it.  And it's been two years since I spent any time near it.

Now I am in Florida (I am a bit partial to the Pacific, but I'll take what I can get).  I haven't gotten to spend any time near the water, but driving all the way down to the bottom of the state gave me enough glimpses that I have realized how much I missed it.

I don't know if I'll get to spend much time actually on the beach this trip (this humidity + a broken ac), but I am thankful to be able to see it and enjoy it.  It is amazing how much the little things can mean so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment