26 December 2015

Christmas Traditions, Part One

I'm not big on traditions.  I have a few and like a few, but it isn't really my thing.  However, there is something about the holidays that just pulls it out of me in a way like no other.  I love everything about holiday traditions.  I love remembering the traditions that my parents instituted, the ones we re-instituted with our son, and the new ones that we've picked up along the way.

In the past 35-years, I have only missed one Christmas with my family and even then, my parents and sister flew up the day after so we could celebrate.  Due to my new job, this year did work out a bit differently, but we still made it.  Chas came over in time to do the big celebration with my Mom's family and then the Hubs and I came over on Christmas Eve.



This really boosted my spirits.  Working in retail, I was having a bit of trouble connecting with the holiday spirit.  Even though I was tired and rushing to wrap presents and help cook and visit, I still loved being with family and my Mom's penchant for decorating her whole house.  My sister, T-dub, came over to join in the craziness before we headed to church.

The candlelight service and communion at my parent's church was also really good.  Their pastor did a wonderful job of keeping things Christ-centered and there is just something about being surrounded by all those individual lights casting a soft glow in the beauty of the sanctuary that moves me.

Then we come home to our feast.  This year things were pretty low-key, turkey, ham, dressing, potatoes, yams, and veggies with pie and bread pudding for dessert.  This was a blessing because things were incredibly yummy and also because it reduced the stress and the cleanup.  Most things were done on the grill or in crock pots.

After the feast, we open our pajamas (matching for the girls and for the boys) and play board games.  Usually we have a new game, but my mom (who was sick last year) really didn't stress this year and so we just grabbed a couple from years past, Catchphrase and Guesstures.  I know that most families play board games and most of them have fun, but I cannot believe that anyone has as much as we do.  The actual game is fun, but the commentary, giggles, and teams just can't be beat.

Then as things die down, T-dub and J-dub (her bf) go home and the rest of us go to bed to wait for morning.  It was a lot more fun when we were all together in one house and sometimes even in one room.  Now that Chas is older, there's a little bit of the excitement and magic that has left, but now it is replaced with joy and rest...


No comments:

Post a Comment