08 January 2015

Resolutions and revelations...

It's cold.  Like really, really, really cold.  Suddenly the hashtag #stupidcold doesn't seem so silly.  I think most of the country knows what I'm talking about.

It's also our first day back to school for this semester/2015.  I'm not sure why I get so pumped about a new year or school year.  Do others do this?  Excitement about being able to start over or start new?  Shouldn't every day be like that?  After all, we are told that God's mercies are made new each morning.

Since we spent, a lot of time with my family for Christmas and didn't get home until 5 Jan and we needed to get settled, it hasn't really felt like the new year until today.  We instituted our "new & improved" daily schedule (which had me getting up at 6:30 this morning.  Yawn.)  I love a good schedule, a sense of purpose and structure to my day.  I even cleaned my upstairs bathroom this morning.  That's what my new & improved schedule said for the day!

Toward the end of 2014, I looked back on my resolutions, my book list, and our long discarded schedule.  It was a little discouraging.  I only accomplished one measurable resolution, read 5 of 24 books, and, well, I think the modifier "long-discarded" sums up the schedule.

I also reflected on my "one word" for 2014, which was "wisdom."  Did I become wise in 2014?  No.  Did I learn more about wisdom?  Yes.  And no.  Did I lose track of seeking wisdom?  Yes.  Did I try to regain my journey toward wisdom?  Yes.  It was imperfect progress, to be sure, but I do think there was progress.

In my attempt to think about and meditate on wisdom, I learned a lot about God.  I discovered Him as Creator, in a whole new way.  Seeking wise choices and wise paths taught me the need to be much more deliberate in all things.  Having this thought in the back of my mind made me notice wisdom every time it popped up in Scripture reading, in conversation, in entertainment.

So, even though 2014 wasn't the year that I became wise, it was still a fruitful experiment and I did learn a lot.  I also realized that there wasn't a need to be discouraged.  Change can happen overnight, but it can also happen deliberately over the course of time.  I may not have become as wise as Solomon, or Jesus, but I do hope that I'm a little more so than I was a year ago.  If nothing else, my eyes are open to the places where more progress is needed.

Instead of discarding those unmet resolutions, I have carried over the ones I think are fruitful and reworded a couple others.  And then added a few more.  I may or may not meet them in 2015, but I want to try.  I won't give up.  I also have my new reading list for 2015 (with a few carry-overs and a few new), and I've already shared about the new schedule (yay!).

I hope to blog more in 2015 (I blogged more in 2014 than ever before) and share about my imperfect progress and other goings on.  Hopefully, I will post next week and share my word (and reasons) for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment